September 4, 2014

Tape Patterns & White Board

If you have not already determined this about me, I have something to share. It isn't exactly breaking news and it's certainly something I am working on...but you should be warned:


I am a control freak.

Which is why when I told Matt that we could paint the his office in whatever color scheme and/or theme he wanted, I had to suppress the urge to hide all the paint swatches at Home Depot in my purse. Matt's innate interior decorator prefers deep, dark colors like garnet red, "dynamic blue", "verona brown" and black. He likes the colors to be bold and statement-y (that's totally a word). I, on the other hand, prefer pastels and earthy tones. I tried to meet in the middle when I painted the bedroom by using a color called "crispy blue" by Valspar. 



This is a fairly close representation of
how it appears on my bedroom walls.
My intention is to pair it with white-everything including blinds, sheer curtains and a clean looking hotel-inspired bedspread to give it a whimsical summery feel, though to be honest, my fears of these things staying clean in my household are almost tangible. 

Matt tossed around a few ideas and ultimately decided he wanted to go with a University of South Carolina Gamecock color scheme: garnet and black (as expected). On one wall, we painted a white board. On the "black" wall, he had hopes of doing a design of some kind. We toyed around with a few 3D designs that we had seen on various websites, but ultimately we decided to go with the simplest of them all and something that I had seen a friend of mine do in her craft room: an abstract made with a several shades and shapes.


We started out by scraping and painting the ceiling, priming the walls and painting the trim. I then let the trim cure for about 24 hours. After the paint had time to fully dry, I taped it off so that I could put up the bright red paint we had planned to slop on the walls. (I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again - I am a messy painter by nature. I'm getting better, and I hardly got any on me this time! But it's still a work in progress.)


We marked off an approximate area using a level and painters tape/pencil where we had planned to paint the white board on the wall (it's a rectangle about 5' x 6'). I then cut in the ceiling and the corners of the room with the red paint, and put up a coat on all the walls. The next day, I reapplied paint to the corners and edges and put on a second coat. I waited an hour and put on a third coat and removed the painters tape. I then decided that I never wanted to paint again.



This is how I taped it after I had
painted around the perimeter.
That didn't last of course and after another 24 hours, I painted the white board area using this special paint. The key to this paint is that it must be applied in two or three (or in my case, five) coats 20-30 minutes a part and must be applied within one hour of mixing the two parts. You must use a high density foam roller for flat surfaces and reviewers recommend strongly that you get the "newest" box available to you, because the age of the materials can have a negative effect on the dry erase functionality. 

They also recommend applying this paint on white or light colored surfaces, which is why I left a majority of the area unpainted. However, I did leave a boarder of red so that I could paint over it using new tape and clean lines. I taped off the full size of the area and used newspaper along the bottom in case there were any drips. I then started applying my various coats. I noticed early on that this paint goes on much like a primer in that it is thinner than your typical latex interior. It was not surprising to me that as a result of this, you could clearly see the red boarder underneath the paint. It's less noticeable than I anticipated, but only because I applied a more-than-suggested number of coats.

I didn't drip a drop of this
paint on me. Progress!

The white board takes about 60 minutes to dry and 72 hours to cure, so we left it alone to test out at a later date. We then embarked on the patterned wall. Matt chose to use a thicker painters tape in order to guarantee that the red showed through and tied the walls together. He also decided to use white shapes in addition to the black, to keep the room from being so dark. 


So Matt got to taping:


The quality of these pictures is terrible -
I used my phone. Sorry!



And then to seal the tape and prevent excessive paint-bleed, I painted over the tape with a (FOURTH) coat of red and let it dry.





We chose which color would go where. And then, surprise surprise, we painted some more:




Immediately after we were done with our paint layers, we stripped the tape off the walls. Alas! Pattern:

It came out AWESOME. So happy with the results.
One of the things I learned and can't wait to try again is how effective it is to "seal" the tape with a top coat of the base color. Holy Straight Lines, Batman! With the exception of a few corner and trim areas, the lines are perfect and beautiful and didn't bleed. I can't take credit for that -- Matt did an amazing job.

We're happy with it and it definitely gives this room a cool vibe. Makes me want to try it in another room... Stay tuned for that potential debacle. ;)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
128d4c84dc56cb6864189c8521337f8e1a316c913b21929ad4